How To Release Music As An Indie Artist
As an independent artist with over 20 million online streams and a passion for giving back, I've had the privilege of working with nonprofits like Men2Boys Mentoring, AVDA (Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse), and Handy. I've also worked with major brands like Pepsi, Tropical Financial Credit Union, and The US Navy.
Throughout my career, I've found that several strategies have helped me successfully release and market my music. Here are some of the key steps I've taken:
- Set Your Goals: I always set clear goals before starting the release process. By defining what I want to achieve with my music, I can create a focused plan to help me reach my targets.
- Plan Your Release: Planning is essential when it comes to releasing music. I always choose a release date and work backward from there, creating a timeline that includes all the necessary steps. This includes recording and mixing my music, creating artwork and visuals, and preparing my music for distribution.
- Choose Your Distribution Strategy: several distribution strategies are available for independent artists. Using a digital distributor like DistroKid, CDBaby, and TuneCore has been effective for me. Alternatively, self-distribution through my website and social media channels has also succeeded.
- Build Your Fanbase: Building a loyal fanbase is crucial for independent artists. I engage with my audience by using social media and other channels to share teasers and behind-the-scenes content and connect with fans on a personal level. I also offer exclusive content, merchandise, and experiences to build loyalty.
- Promote Your Release: Effective promotion is critical to the success of a release. I create a marketing plan that includes paid and organic strategies, such as social media advertising, playlist placements, influencer partnerships, and PR outreach.
- Track Your Results: Measuring success against my goals is essential to refining my strategies. I use analytics tools to track my streams, downloads, and engagement and adjust my marketing plan accordingly.
- Plan Your Next Release: Finally, planning for the next release is essential to keep the momentum going. I use what I learned from my previous release to improve my next one and keep growing my fanbase.
Releasing and marketing music as an independent artist requires a combination of planning, strategy, and creativity. By using these steps, along with my experience and passion for music, I've achieved success in my career while positively impacting my community.